Vegan Protein Bowl with Spicy Cashew Dressing
You can build this bowl with whatever ingredients you like… the star is the dressing. Inspired by my favorite from Sweetgreen in Los Angeles, it's creamy and toasty, with the perfect amount of heat. Also vegan. It's great in a salad, and just as good with roasted vegetables.
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 2 tbsp roasted cashews
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp agave
- 1 garlic clove
For the Salad
- 4 cups shredded kale
- 1/4 cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- green onions, to garnish
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly in a fine mesh sieve, then add it to a small sauce pan with 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover with a lid, and simmer for ~15 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat, fluff lightly with a fork, then cover and let steam for an additional 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F / 205C. Toss the sweet potato in the olive oil, smoked paprika, and cumin. Spread out on a lined baking sheet and roast 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Prepare the dressing by adding all ingredients to a nutribullet or blender. **If not using a high powered blender, boil the cashews in water for 30 minutes, then drain the cooking liquid.**
- Serve by dividing kale, quinoa, sweet potatoes and black beans amongst bowls. Dress to your liking, and top with green onions.
- Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a starter.
- Extra dressing keeps well in the fridge