Asian Rice Cake Stir Fry
Inspired by my favorite dish at Din Tai Fung, these are chewy Asian rice cakes with mixed veggies and sesame-fried tofu in a savory sauce.
- 16oz rice cakes soaked at least 2h or overnight if using dried. you can purchase these in many Asian markets, but I buy them online at the link
- 1/2 block extra firm tofu, cut into 2 inch x 1/4 inch strips
- 4 large shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced about 1/3 inch thick
- 3 cups spinach
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 small sweet onion or yellow onion, sliced
- 3 tbsp sesame oil or neutral oil (vegetable or avocado)
For the Sauce
- 4 tbsp coconut aminos or tamari can sub for low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce use vegan oyster flavored sauce for totally vegan dish
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- If using dried rice cakes, pre-soak them in water for about 3h or overnight in the fridge. After soaking for 30 minutes, carefully separate the rice cakes so they are not stuck together. Drain soaking liquid before cooking.
- Add the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and whisk together until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan on high and add the oil. Once the pan is hot, lay the tofu pieces down and cook about 15 minutes, flipping halfway, until both sides are browned. Set tofu aside.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms have browned slightly, 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the sliced onions and most of the green onions (save some for garnishing) to the pan and stir fry for a few minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add in about 4 tbsp of the sauce and the drained rice cakes. Stir fry the rice cakes for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and the rest of the sauce (if needed or desired) and stir fry everything for another 2-3 minutes, until the spinach has wilted and the rice cakes are soft and chewy. Taste a rice cake to be sure they're fully softened.
- Serve immediately and top with more green onions.
Tried this recipe?Mention @thesimpleseagan or tag #thesimpleseagan!