Miso Butter Salmon with Broccolini (Dairy Free)
Salmon filets are pan seared and basted with a dairy free miso butter, yielding flaky, tender flesh and extra crispy skin. Served over steam-crisped sautéed broccolini. Simple and savoury.
- 2 salmon filets
- 2 tbsp vegan butter I used Earth Balance
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 bunch broccolini, bottom third of stems removed
- 1 tsp sesame oil or any neutral oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or water
- chili flakes
- salt & pepper
- 15-20 minutes before you wish to cook, remove the salmon filets from the fridge to come to room temperature. Blot dry and salt them generously at this time — the salt will absorb into the flesh as it comes to room temp and help to tenderize the meat, as well as keep it juicy while cooking. **Only season the flesh side at this step. Do not season the skin side until just before cooking.**
- Prepare the miso butter by creaming together 2 tbsp vegan butter and 1 tbsp miso paste with a fork until well combined.
- In a large frying pan with a lid, heat 1 tsp sesame oil. Add the broccolini (washed and with bottom third of the stems cut off) and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of water to the pan and cover it with a lid. Let broccolini steam and cook another 5 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Toss lightly with salt, then set aside to a plate.
- In the same pan, add the miso butter and let melt. Season the skin with salt, then lay the salmon filets skin side down, applying pressure to the tops using your fingers or a fish spatula, to make sure the skin gets crisp. Baste with the miso butter as it cooks: tilt the pan toward you so the butter runs down, use a spoon to ladle it up and then over the tops of the fish filets. Alternate between basting and applying pressure. Repeat these steps for 5 minutes. **the miso will caramelize and turn very dark**
- Flip the filets over (the skin should release from the pan — if it doesn't, cook longer) and cook an additional 30-45 seconds. Remove to a plate SKIN SIDE UP to ensure the skin stays crispy.
- Add 1/4 cup water or white wine to the pan to deglaze the caramelized miso, add back the broccolini and lightly toss to get some of those miso butter bits.
- Serve the salmon over top of the broccolini, skin side UP, with chili flakes.