Garlic Butter Shrimp Scampi Pasta (Dairy Free)
A classic shrimp scampi cooked in vegan garlic butter and tossed with pasta in a cashew cream sauce. Choose your spice level and your pasta shape!
- 1 lb shrimp raw, peeled, de-veined, tails off
- 1 lb dry pasta, any shape (i used casarecce)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes or more if you like it spicy
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Make cashew cream by blending the cashews, water, and garlic powder in a high powered blender until extra smooth and creamy. (See recipe note #1)
- Cook the pasta according to package in salted water until al dente, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking liquid.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic, and chili flakes. Allow this to bubble away for a minute or so the mixture is hot and very aromatic.
- Meanwhile, season shrimp (both sides!) with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and cook for 2 minutes per side.
- Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove shrimp from pan to a cutting board and set aside.
- Add 1/2 cup dry white wine to the pan to deglaze and cook for 30 seconds until the alcohol smell burns off, scraping the bottom of the pan to combine any browned or stuck bits.
- Add cashew cream and bring to a simmer, letting bubble away for about a minute until it thickens slightly.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the shrimp into bite size pieces and add back to the pan.
- Add pasta and chopped fresh parsley, along with 1/2 cup pasta water and stir to combine.
- Add more pasta water if you want the sauce to be thinner, keeping in mind that cream sauces thicken as they stand.
- Add juice of 1 lemon, stir to combine, and serve hot!
- If you are not using a high powered blender, soak your cashews in water at least 2 hours or overnight to ensure they blend up smooth and creamy. Drain the soaking liquid before blending.