Crispy Baked Cauliflower in Creamy Chili Sauce
Panko-crusted cauliflower, baked and tossed in a rich & tangy chili garlic sauce. This is a vegan play on creamy rock shrimp tempura.
- 1 cauliflower head, cut into florets
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tbsp corn starch or corn flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup water at room temperature
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- chives, for garnish
For the Sauce
- 4 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 2.5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- Preheat oven to 175C/350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and water until it is a smooth batter. In another bowl, add the breadcrumbs.
- One by one, dip the florets in the batter, then into the breadcrumb mixture until evenly coated. Place on the lined baking sheet. (Try to do this with one hand, but I usually wash my hands a couple of times during the process as my fingers get too coated with breadcrumbs/batter).
- Repeat until all florets are coated.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until crisp, flipping halfway through.
- Make the sauce by whisking all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Toss the florets in the sauce until they are well coated.
- Garnish with chives or green onions.
Serves 4 as an appetizer or 2 as a main course.