Mexican Inspired Quinoa
Loaded into this whole grain, protein packed, one pan dish, Mexican flavors bring the perfect amount of heat. It is healthy and nutritious, naturally vegan and gluten free, and unbelievably easy to make. Enjoy with a refreshing squeeze of lime.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 15 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sweet corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup loosely packed sun dried tomatoes, drained of oil and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 avocado, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Heat the olive oil a sautée pan with straight sides (different from a frying pan) over medium high heat.
- Add the garlic and jalapeno and cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the sun dried-tomatoes, black beans, corn, quinoa*, chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika and stir until well combined. Let cook this way for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover the pan. Let simmer until all of the broth has absorbed into the quinoa ~20 minutes. Remove lid and stir occasionally to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and avocado.
- Serve hot or cold.
* Be sure to rinse your quinoa or it will not bloom properly. Pour into a fine mesh strainer and run water over it until all of the quinoa has been saturated. ** This will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge and tastes just as good (maybe better) when it’s cold.