White Fish Pot Pie
A hearty helping of leeks, peas, and cod, spiced with turmeric, and baked in a puff pastry crust. Makes for plenty to share or yummy leftovers!
- 6x9inch baking dish
- 2 lb cod loin, cut into chunks
- 2.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tbsp mellow white miso paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large leeks, finely sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup flour (gluten free or all purpose)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 puff pastry sheet roll
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium heat and add the leeks. Sautée for 7 minutes or so until they have cooked down and taken on some color.
- Add the garlic, bay leaves, rosemary, turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, miso paste and 2 cups of almond milk. (Reserve the last 1/2 cup for later). Bring to a simmer, then turn the heat down to low and cover.
- Simmer for 35 minutes. Then, add the remaining 1/2 cup almond milk, and raise heat slightly until it returns to a simmer. Lightly season the cod with salt and pepper, then add for 5 minutes.
- Remove fish to a plate and flake apart slightly with two forks.
- Add the peas and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves and rosemary.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve into a large jug — RESERVE THE INFUSED ALMOND MILK! You should be left with at least 1 cup of almond milk.
- Preheat the oven to 375F / 190C. Take your pastry out of the fridge.
- Wipe your pan clean and heat the vegan butter over a low heat. Once it has melted, stir in the flour using a whisk to form your roux. Whisk until the flour and butter have formed a paste that does not stick to the sides of the pan. Cook like this for 1-2 minutes to cook off any raw flour taste.
- While whisking, pour in 1/2 cup of the reserved infused almond milk, and bring the mixture to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, then reduce the heat to low, still whisking, until the roux starts to thicken.
- When there are no more lumps, add the remaining 1/2 cup of infused almond milk and whisk until smooth.
- Remove pan from the heat and stir in the vegetables. At this point, taste the mixture and season with additional salt if desired.
- Pour the mixture into a deep bottomed casserole dish, add fish, and stir to combine. Lightly flour a work surface and roll out your pastry to size with your casserole dish. The pastry sheet should be slightly larger than the dish.
- Lay puff pastry over the dish and press sides down with a fork.
- Brush the top of the pastry with the melted vegan butter.
- Cook in the oven for ~20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.