The absolute easiest fish to cook and definitely my new favorite, buttery Dover Sole will be the star of any dish. It needs only seasoning with salt & pepper, a dusting of flour, and a quick sear in the pan. Finish with a lemon (vegan) butter pan sauce for a simple, delicious, healthy meal!
- 1 European Dover Sole, filleted* skin and bones removed
- 2 tbsp flour (can use gluten free, all purpose, whatever you want)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced plus lemon slices for serving
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Pat the filets dry, season very generously with salt & pepper on both sides.
- Dust each filet with 1 tbsp flour, coating both sides.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until oil shimmers.
- Lay filets down in the oil and sear for 2-3 minutes per side. (When you lay the fish down the oil should crackle — if it isn't crackling, it's not hot enough.) Set the fish aside while you make the sauce.
- Add the vegan butter to the same pan and let melt. Once melted, add the lemon juice to deglaze the pan and scrape up all bits left behind from searing the fish to combine with the sauce.
- Stir in the fresh parsley and then spoon over top of the fish and whatever side you are serving**. Garnish with more fresh parsley and slice of lemon.
*Do not confuse this European Dover Sole with Pacific Dover Sole found on the West Coast, they are NOT the same fish. **I love to serve this with steamed veggies — carrots, asparagus, spinach, or green beans. Drizzle the lemon butter sauce over the veggies to tie the whole dish together.