Miso Black Cod Curry
Melt in your mouth miso black cod in a delicious sauce with curried vegetables. One of your favorite high end dishes turned into a bowl of high end comfort.
- 3/4 lb black cod (sabelfish), skin off, deboned and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 lb butternut squash, small cubed (~2 cups)
- 3 large handfuls baby spinach
- 1/2 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos or tamari (soy sauce is fine if you aren't gluten free)
- 2 tbsp white miso
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 lemon, juiced plus slices to serve
- 2 tbsp sesame oil or any neutral oil
- fresh parsley, to serve
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
For the Marinade
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 3 tbsp miso
- 1 tsp sugar
To Make the Marinade
- Add sake and mirin to a small pot and bring to a boil.
- Then add sugar, whisking constantly until it dissolves, making sure it does not burn on the bottom of the pan. Whisk in the miso and continue mixing until fully encorporated.
- Allow mixture to cool to room temperature before proceeding to next step. Do not pour hot mixture over the fish, or the fish will start to cook.
- Lightly pat black cod pieces dry with a paper towel, then add to a plastic bag or small airtight container and pour over marinade. Let this sit in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours and up to 4 days.
For the Rice
- Combine 1 part rice and 2 parts water (so 1/2 cup rice + 1 cup water) in a small pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower heat to a simmer and cover. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat but LEAVE COVERED and do not peak! Let steam in this way for another 10 minutes. Then fluff with a fork.
For the Curry
- Heat 1 tbsp sesame oil in a sautée pan and add the fish pieces in a single layer. When removing them from the marinade, shake off excess but don't wipe.
- Cook on each side about 4 minutes, until lightly browned. You'll finish cooking the fish off later, just want to get a bit of color in this step. Set fish aside.
- In the same pan (without rinsing), sautée onion, ginger and garlic in 1 tbsp oil over medium-high for 5 minutes, stirring so as not to burn the garlic, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add butternut squash and continue to cook about 5 more minutes. If too much is sticking to the bottom of the pan, deglaze with a splash of water.
- Add curry powder and stir to coat vegetables.
- Add miso and stir to coat.
- Add soy sauce and rice vinegar and stir to coat. Continue cooking about 10 more minutes.
- Pour in coconut milk and bring to a boil. Return fish to pan and ladle curry over fish, then cover pan, reduce heat to low, and let fish steam ~7 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove lid, add spinach and stir to combine until spinach is wilted.
- Mix in lemon juice, then season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Divide rice and curry between bowls, serve with additional squeeze of lemon and fresh parsley on top!