Vegan Mac & Cheese
Like the boxed goodness you had as a kid. But nutritious & delicious, made with real ingredients. Nothing processed.
- high speed blender
- 3 cups dry pasta
- 1/2 cup cashews raw, unsalted, soaked in water for 2+ hours
- 1/2 cup carrot about 1 medium carrot, diced
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp flaky sea salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika + more to taste
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp white miso
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp agave
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Soak the cashews in hot water for at least 2 hours. The longer you soak the easier they are to blend. When done soaking strain & add to blender.
- Boil the carrot for ~20 minutes then strain & add to blender.
- Add all remaining ingredients to blender and blend until very smooth and creamy.
- Heat sauce on the stove over medium heat until it starts to bubble and is glossy and thick. Will take about 5 minutes and be sure to whisk constantly so it doesn’t clump.
- Taste and add more of any of the spices if you need to kick up the flavor, also salt + pepper as you like.
- Add to your cooked pasta and stir to combine! I also serve mine with crispy onions on top 😋